Lately, the grocery stores around here have had great deals on chicken. Buy 1 get 2 free on chicken breast is a great deal…so I have been stocking up. There are only so many chicken cutlets I can give my husband on a weekly basis! Whether baked or fried, my husband doesn’t like them too often. Besides not wanting to eat them all that often, they are a bit timely to make. Flour, egg mixture, breadcrumbs,….it takes some time to prepare these during the week. If I don’t get home from work until 7 and make chicken cutlets, we aren’t eating until 8…which on a weeknight is late to eat!
Last week I was looking for something different to make and realized I hadn’t made this chicken dish in a while. It was quick and get this…healthy! What can be better! The tomatoes, although summer is winding down, are still so juicy and flavorful. Tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, seasonings, and olive oil….this combination can be eaten by itself, but serve with some meat and it’s a complete meal! I served it was mashed potatoes and vegetables. Turned out yummy!
- 3 medium vine ripe tomatoes
- 2 small cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 2 tbsp fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1 tbsp extra virgin oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- 3 oz part skim mozzarella, diced
- 1.25 lbs (8 thin sliced) chicken cutlets
1. Combine onion, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, and pepper. Set aside for a few minutes.
2. Chop tomatoes and place in a large bowl. Combine with basil, garlic, onion-balsamic mixture, and additional salt and pepper to taste. Set aside and let sit for at least 10 minutes. Toss in the cheese when ready to serve.
3. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Grill the chicken cutlets on your indoor or outdoor grill, top with bruschetta, and serve.
Recipe from Skinny Taste “Grilled Chicken Bruschetta” http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/05/grilled-chicken-bruschetta.html