This dish combines hot italian sausage, broccoli rabe, and lots of garlic to awaken your senses! I opted for hot italian sausage rather than chicken sausage because that’s what I had in my freezer, but certainly use whatever you have on hand.
This is a great Sunday afternoon meal that can be served with a salad and some garlic bread! Enjoy!!
- 1 large bunch broccoli rabe, washed and 2″ trimmed off stems
- 1 lb lean chicken sausage, removed from casing (I used hot italian sausage)
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 5-6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 10 oz orecchiette (I used a mixture of ravioli and cavetelli)
- 1 cup low sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
1. Cut broccoli rabe in quarters. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. When it comes to a boil, add broccoli rabe. Branch for about 2 minutes, drain, and set aside in colander. Re-fill pot with water and salt for the pasta and bring back to a boil. Add pasta and cook according to package directions for al dente.
2. In a large, deep saute pan, brown sausage on medium heat, breaking up into small pieces as it cooks. When completely cooked through set aside in a dish or bowl. Increase heat to medium-high, add olive oil to the pan, when hot enough add garlic and cook until golden (don’t burn).
3. Return broccoli rabe to the pan, mix well with garlic and oil, season with salt and pepper and cook about a minute.
4. Return cooked sausage to the pan and mix well.
5. Drain pasta and add to the broccoli rabe. Reduce heat and stir for about 30 seconds. Add chicken broth, parmesan cheese, and red pepper flakes. Add additional salt and pepper if needed. Toss well; serve with grated cheese.
Adapted from Skinny Taste – http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/04/orecchiette-with-chicken-sausage-and.html