Who doesn’t like Chex Mix? Growing up, my best friend Erin and I would make chex mix every holiday season. It would always come out too buttery and burnt. It was always a habit of mine to cook things until they were too well done! I have changed my cooking habits since that young age! This stuff is perfect!
The buttery goodness and seasonings involved make this one good snack! The original chex mix recipe is good, but this recipe goes one step further! The fresh garlic adds a different dynamic along with the Tabasco sauce.
Feel free to alter this recipe to your liking. Rather than add the full amount of pretzels, I normally add more corn chex into my mix as the corn chex is my favorite part of this snack!
3 cups of Corn Chex
3 cups of Wheat Chex
3 cups of Rice Chex
2 cups of mini pretzels
2 cups of peanuts
1 1/2 sticks of butter
3 to 5 cloves of garlic (put through a garlic press)
5 tablespoons of Worcestershire Sauce
6 to 12 shakes of Tabasco Sauce
1 tablespoon garlic powder
2 teaspoons of Seasoned Salt
1 tablespoon Onion Powder
1. Dump cereal in large bowl. Add in pretzels and peanuts and mix until well combined.
2. In microwave safe bowl add butter and Worcestershire and Tabasco sauce. Give a good stir.
3. Next add the seasoned salt, garlic powder, onion powder, and the fresh garlic (garlic should be put through garlic press first before adding) to the above butter and sauce mixture.
4. Microwave mixture until all butter has melted.
5. Grab a piece of chex and dip into the buttery sauce mixture. Taste it and see what you think about the seasoning. Add more seasonings or sauce until desired flavor is achieved.
6. Next, begin slowly pouring the butter and seasoning mixture over the cereal and nuts while stirring constantly. Once entire mixture is added to cereal, keep mixing together until everything has been coated well.
7. Pour the mix into a large aluminum pan; since this is a lot of chex mix, I buy a large roasting pan and everything fits nicely.
8. Bake at 250 degrees for 1 hour and 15 minutes; longer if you think it needs it. Stir every 20 minutes.
9. Enjoy your chex mix!!!