A few weeks ago my husband and I, along with my in-laws took a drive to Springfield MA. After an afternoon spent shopping, we ventured to a restaurant called ” A Touch of Garlic”. This place was your local mom and pop type of place. The menu offered much variety with the majority being homemade. The meal was so good that when I asked my husband what he wanted for dinner this past Sunday night, he proclaimed- “Parma Rosa”, which was the name of the dish he had ordered and devoured on our trip!
I searched the Internet for an actual recipe, but couldn’t find one. I did get some ideas from ladies who have made similar dishes, so I took some notes and after heading to the local market, was ready to give this meal a shot!
Package of ground hot sausage
2-3 pieces of skinless thinly sliced chicken breasts cut up into smaller pieces; if you like a lot of chicken add a few more pieces.
Package of sliced mushrooms
Bag of spinach
Fresh garlic; approximately 3-4 cloves depending on your preference.
Hot Pepper Flakes
Salt & Pepper
Your favorite pasta
Butter; approximately 3 tablespoons
Jar of Marinara Sauce (I used Patsy’s) or if you are feeling overzealous you can make your own!
Small container of heavy cream
Fresh Mozzarella Cheese
1. In a large pan, add a few tablespoons of oil and heat over medium high heat for a few minutes until oil gets hot.
2. Once hot, add the package of ground sausage and the chicken. Reduce heat to medium. Continue to mix while enduring that the sausage gets broken up. Remain cooking until both are lightly brown and cooked through. Remove from heat and set aside.
3. Next add 3 tablespoons of butter to pan set over medium heat. As butter begins to melt, add few cloves of garlic and your mushrooms and spinach. Sprinkle with some Italian seasonings and salt and pepper. Give a good stir and continue to cook for about 10-15 minutes until both spinach and mushrooms have been cooked down.
4. While the spinach and mushrooms are being sautéed, bring pot of water to boil and cook according to package.
5. Once mushrooms and spinach have been cooked, reduce heat to low and add in the chicken & sausage mixture (drain fat/grease first). Stir together while on low heat.
6. Add your pasta sauce or Marinara sauce to small pot and heat until warmed. Add extra seasonings if you prefer, I added some garlic powder! Then add in 4-5 tablespoons of ricotta cheese (more/less depending on your preference) and about 1/3 cup of heavy cream. Stir to combine until the sauce has reached that “pink color” and the consistency is to your liking. Add extra cream if need be.
7. Plate dish with pasta and top with your sausage, chicken, spinach, and mushroom mixture. Lastly add your sauce and some fresh mozzarella cheese to top off.